The 2021 American Rescue Plan Act’s Major Health Care Provisions
In early March, President Biden signed the American Rescue Plan Act, designed to provide sweeping economic relief and financial support to address the COVID-19 pandemic. The act provides significant financial support to public health and health coverage programs and allocates billions to:
- Support COVID-19 vaccine development, distribution, testing, and treatment;
- Ensure more affordable insurance coverage through public and private programs;
- Expansion of provider and public health workforces;
- Initiatives to address social determinants of health, including housing, food assistance, and clean water; and
- New investments in mental health, behavioral health, and substance use disorder prevention and treatment programs.
This chart highlights all health care provisions in the plan.